Emory University, E469
Laboratory of Biochemical Pharmacology
Health Sciences Research Building
1760 Haygood Drive, Atlanta GA 30322
Synthetic organic chemistry, Nucleoside chemistry, DNA and RNA synthesis & analysis, Biophysical and spectroscopic methods
- Seema Mengshetti received her B.S. and M.S. degree in chemistry from the Department of Chemistry.
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India in 2002 and 2004 respectively.
- She completed her Ph.D. in 2013 in the group of Dr. Vaijayanti Kumar, Organic Chemistry Division, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, Maharashtra.
- Her thesis focused on synthesis and biophysical properties of Nucleic acid analogues bearing 5-atom achiral amide- and chiral D/L-amino acid-derived linkages, as well as Nucleic acid analogues bearing 4’-modified nucleosides for their potential therapeutic application in the field of antisense drug strategy.
- After completion of her PhD, she worked as a Research Associate in the same group of Dr. Vaijayanti Kumar.
- Currently, Dr. Seema works as a Post-doctoral Research Associate in Dr. Raymond Schinazi’s multidisciplinary research group at Laboratory of Biochemical Pharmacology, Emory University School of Medicines, Atlanta USA.
- Her research involves synthesis of novel antivirus nucleosides for the treatment of HIV, HBV, HCV, West Nile Virus, RSV, Influenza and other class of antiviral agents.
- She also works on the synthesis of nucleoside triphosphates for enzyme studies.
- She is a member of the American Chemical Society (ACS), The International Society of Nucleosides, Nucleotides and Nucleic acid (IS3NA), International Society for Antiviral Research (ISAR), Indian Society of Chemist and Biologist (ISCB), and Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI).
- She keeps her intellectual interests alive as an editorial board member for De Gruyter Open Chemistry, Open Science Journal, SCIREA Journal of Chemistry, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry & Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Jacobs Journals of Medicinal Chemistry.
- She also serves as a reviewer for many international journals (RSC, ELESVIER, Springer Open) spanning research areas; synthetic medicinal chemistry, nucleoside and nucleotide chemistry and biochemical sciences.